Monday, February 23, 2009

A Much Happier Monday!

I am happy to report that after a somewhat emotional last few days, today has been great! I'm feeling ready for my surgery (mostly) and had a great day spent with friends and my kids.

This afternoon, I had an early lunch with some of my best and oldest friends, Julie, Liz, Francie and Kim. I have been friends with these girls since I was in junior high, and Liz and I have been friends since kindergarten. How nice to have friends like that--you know the kind that you don't care if you forgot to put on make-up or look kindof of frumpy, cause you know they love you anyway! I am grateful to have such great friends--thank you, thank you. Sometimes that's all you need to set things in perspective! A good lunch at Zuppas with friends.

Another great part of my day was helping in Mitchell's class. Part of our school curriculum is an art program centered around teaching the children about art and great artists. This time we taught about Monet. I love Monet--the colors make me happy! It was fun to pull out my prints and Impressionist art books from my honeymoon in NYC. We went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on our honeymoon and I brought a book full of all the Impressionist paintings in that museum. It was fun to show the children the pictures and have them guess what season, based on the light and colors. Tomorrow I get to do it in Madeline's class, and hopefully it'll go even better (I could have focused more on warm and cool colors). Mitch was cute. I asked if it went all right and he said "Yes, mom! You are the best teacher ever!!" I'm sure he's a little biased and I may have been waving a piece of chocolate cake in front of his nose, but it still made me feel good!

I still have more to look forward to this evening. One of my very best friends, and the best neighbor I've ever had, is coming to visit from Michigan with her family. We're all meeting at the Mayan tonight for dinner. I always feel better when I look around and realize how lucky I am to have been blessed with so many great friends in my lifetime! Those types of associations have made me a better person.

Well, I best get back to the laundry so my kids will have clean socks and underwear when Pete's in charge!

3 comments:

Mel Sims said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Keep us posted on your recovery, and if you have any questions, email or call me!! Take care!! Love, Mel

The Martineaus said...

Hi Nicole! When is your surgery scheduled? My heart goes out to you, it was a hard thing for us too. We had a choice but didn't have a choice, in my case, because of peripartum cardiomyopathy. More about that if we talk some time though. Call me if you ever want to cry on my shoulder!

But I'm glad you're feeling a little better about it for now. :) Prayers for you that all will go optimally with the surgery and that you'll continue to grow at peace about it.

Love you!

Erin

The Martineaus said...

Hi Nicole! When is your surgery scheduled? My heart goes out to you, it was a hard thing for us too. We had a choice but didn't have a choice, in my case, because of peripartum cardiomyopathy. More about that if we talk some time though. Call me if you ever want to cry on my shoulder!

But I'm glad you're feeling a little better about it for now. :) Prayers for you that all will go optimally with the surgery and that you'll continue to grow at peace about it.

Love you!

Erin

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake