Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

I have a confession to make . . . I love watching Desperate Housewives, but I rarely get to watch because it's on Sunday night and we typically have dinner with our families then. So I've come up with a fun way to get in my viewing. I've been renting the DVD's from the past seasons, then watching them as I ride my bike (I have one of those cool stands so I can ride my road bike inside) and as I do laundry. So far this week, I've done more laundry folding then I have in the past previous two weeks, and I rode my bike every day this week! I think that justifies my guilty pleasure!

I've also read a few interesting books this past few weeks--Mrs. Perfect (2nd time), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Alchemist. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn reminds me of my Grandpa Fountaine, who grew up in Albany, New York during the same time period before he jumped on a train and headed West. Apparently, he had quite the colorful past. He was a soft-shoe tap dancer, a bridge jumper and a bag boy for the mafia. It's believed in our family that he came West to avoid trouble. I know he enlisted and served in the military during WWI and then met my Grandma at a dance at Fort Douglas. He was 21 at the time, she was 16. My Grandma was swept off her feet and married him. I would love to do more research on what life was like during their lifetime together. I can't even imagine being married at 16 and having a child soon after. I was hardly ready to get married at 22 1/2! Anyhow, it's always fun to read a good book that you can relate to your personal life.

Oh yeah! I have a new favorite CD-Trouble by Ray LaMontagne. You'll have to check it out--very mellow, very retro 70's, very me! I totally dig it! If I can ever figure out how to upload music, I'll put some on--it's awesome! It's inspired me to compile a bunch of songs with Trouble in the title--there are some great ones! Trouble by Cat Stevens, Ray LaMontagne and Coldplay. Plus Trouble Me by Ten Thousand Maniacs. I've found several others and made a mixed CD. Pete thinks it's funny since I'm kind of the antithesis to trouble!

3 comments:

Jami said...

I love that Ray LaMontagne album! So mellow.

And Mrs. Perfect was totally guilty pleasure reading for me this summer! I was living in downtown Bellevue and running through the neighborhoods where a lot of the book was set. Very fun. Did you read Odd Mom Out? It's the prequel.

Janie said...

Go Nicole! Anything that gets you on the bike, doing laundry and enjoying it is not a bad thing.
I loved the Alchemist--one of my favorite books. A tree grows is really good too. Mrs. Perfect sounds interesting--you have read it twice, it must be good

nickyfish said...

Janie--Mrs. Perfect is a fun light read, very relatable to women today and funny! You should read it. Apparently Odd Mom Out is the first book and I still haven't read that. I read it twice because I suggested it as a good February read and decided I better reread it to present it! It's definitely not The Alchemist or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Have you read the Book Thief yet? I bet Abbie would love Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. She also wrote Austenland which was a quick, fun read. Any good suggestions for me?

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake