Saturday, August 30, 2008

Stereotypes

I've found myself thinking a lot about our need to define ourselves or others through stereotypes. This line of thought was brought on by McCain's choice for running mate, Sarah Palin. Like me, she is a mother who cares about her children and her country. In other ways, I admire her achievements, her exercise habits, her desire to put herself in the line of fire and get involved in government and making a difference in her community. I think it was a brilliant move by McCain, but it's also caused me to reflect on how we tend to be classified by generalizations, when often there is much more to us than meets the eye.

For instance, in high school I danced on the drill team and was a cheerleader. I remember fondly being nicknamed "the Chap who's not a Chap." Our drill team was the Chaparrals, or the Chaps for short. In many ways I was like the other Chaps; I loved to dance and perform. But I liked maintaining my old friendships, I wasn't interested in being on a drill team clique. I made wonderful friends through dance, but I like having variety in my life and in my friendships. I remember being questioned about my morals (yes, some thought I was a slut just because I made drill team) when in actuality I had very little experience in relationships and all that kissing stuff. Although there may have been a few girls with loose morals, I think there was many more who were good girls. And the other thing is, what if some of the girls were a little loose? They also had a lot of other good qualities besides. And why is it that if you have a desire to be on the drill team, then you must automatically be loose?

I don't quite understand this need to label or categorize individuals. I understand that in making a stand on an issue, you align yourself with others who feel like you do. By saying, perhaps, that you're a homemaker, you can connect and relate to other homemakers or skiers or quilters or whatever. All to often though, we make decisions before we really know someone, and that label becomes a negative.

Perhaps I dislike labels because I don't like being categorized. Maybe I'll change my mind and no longer want to be a scrap-booker, instead I'll run or bike. Or maybe I just like that life has so many options, why be restricted by trying to define myself to narrowly. I mean, how do we really get to know people? I am an enigma unto myself, how could anyone else possibly have a good chance at defining me when I can barely do that myself? I don't think that's a negative, I like experiencing life and wondering what new challenges might be coming my way. Oh no! Maybe by not wanting to be stereotyped, I've fit myself into a new stereotype--the nonconforming one! Oh well, now people have a better idea of the way my thoughts get twisted in my mind. What do you think?

3 comments:

HW said...

I liked your ideas. It reminded me of when my twins were little and I really didn't want them labeled as "the twins" or to have people think of them as being just the same, so I took great care to explain some of the differences as well as some of the similarities in their personalities to people who asked about them. My sister thought I went too far and told me I was actually doing people a disservice because all my descriptions of the shadings and subtle differences between them actually made it harder for people to have something stick to their minds that would enable them to tell my girls apart. Maybe labels can be a positive thing in that way--others can use the stereotype as a crutch until they get to know you better. In Mariah and Eliza's case the debate ended decisively when Willa was born--she was the one who was REALLY different. The twins really were pretty much the same after all. :)

nickyfish said...

Thanks for commenting on my diatribe on stereotypes. I hope you read this because for some reason, my link to your blog isn't working anymore. I'll keep trying.

I agree that stereotypes can have their benefits, I just wish that we had some way of viewing people for inner attributes instead of what's outside! I suppose that's what makes relationships more meaningful though, when you take the time to truly get to know someone, you can appreciate them in a more unique way.

Your girls are a good example! Having Willa probably did bring their similarities to the surface. I can also see how their sameness has been a strength for them in moving around--they always have someone they can relate too. That's nice. As for Willa, aren't we glad she's her own adorable self!

Janie said...

I agree with everything you said! I know I am guilty of judging people before getting to know them and of being judged by others.
Friendships are always better when we get past the generalizations and really get to know each other. You are very good at this Nicole--I try to be like you :)

At first I wondered why on earth McCain picked Palin, but now I think it was the perfect choice. And, he will probably win because of it.

I haven't heard the term "loose" since, like, high school.

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake