Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New York, New York!

Pete and I had another fabulous weekend together, this time in New York City.  We flew out Saturday morning, only hold-up being the hour and a half wait for our luggage at JFK Airport (most disorganized airport ever).  We taxied to our hotel, the Marriott Marquee in the middle of Time Square.  We had a great room on the 21st floor overlooking the Hudson River.  Once settled in, we walked the 40 blocks to the Central Park outdoor amphitheater to see our friend Will star in the musical "Hair", a wild and crazy 1960's show.  The cast had amazing energy, and co-mingled with the audience, finishing with members of the audience being asked to dance on the stage.  Very fun, and surprisingly touching during the second half.  Afterwards we went to dinner in the city that never sleeps.  It's always amazing to me how many people are out after midnight in New York.  Way to rock Will!  

The next morning we bought matinee tickets to "In  the Heights" and lunched at a charming Irish Pub/Restaurant with live Jazz music.  We did some shopping for our kids and then saw "In the Heights", probably the best show I've seen in years.  It's combines rap and amazing dance, with a great story line about family and finding home.  Once again, I was surprised at how emotionally touching the show was, for both Pete and myself.  We had to head back to the hotel to chill out for awhile because we were both bawling.  Anyway, if you're headed to NYC, you've got to see "In the Heights".  

We pulled ourselves together in time to hit dinner at Famiglio's Pizza and then saw Mama Mia, another upbeat and fun show, featuring tunes from ABBA.  Nothing like a three day weekend with 3 broadway shows!  My favorite thing to do in New York.  We had cheese cake at Juniors and then tried to hit the arcade for a Mrs. Pacman tournament, but got there just as BB's closed.

Our last day, we slept in, catching up on much needed sleep, then headed to the American Girl store, for Madeline, and um, me!  I know you shouldn't live vicariously through your children, but how else can I justify playing with dolls at my age!  We then headed to Norma's at Le Parker Meridian for lunch with Will.  We had this awesome cheesy french toast and Huevos Rancheros to split.  Norma's is a fun spot, a little on the pricey side, but worth it for the great food.  The Meridian also has this great hamburger joint, a total hole in the wall, hidden behind a big velvet curtain in this glamorous hotel.  I like that kind of juxtaposition!

Only downside to our trip was our plane flight delayed over 3 hours.  We were anxious to get home to our kids and relieve my kind family who watched them while we were gone.  Oh well, we're home now and looking forward to a week spent with my sister Misty and her family.

1 comment:

Janie said...

I think you are trying to make everyone jealous! And it's working!! How fun, it sounds so amazing. I don't think Dan would even go to all the shows with me even if we had the time. I would settle for anything in NYC! I am so glad you guys got a break and had so much fun.

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake