Monday, November 24, 2008

Pete's Big Day!

I realized, in looking back at my last few posts, that I failed to mention Pete's big day--he finally caught up to me after 8 agonizing days of being the "older woman". Of course, this happens every year, and this year he was extremely gracious about my age, in the past, he has jokingly thrown in a few "old hag" comments (I know, we have a weird sense of humor). Since our birthdays are so close, we often plan a joint gift, sometimes an overnighter or a nice dinner. This year, Pete arranged for us to stay up at Sundance Resort, a place we both really love. Our last year at BYU, Pete worked at the Sundance Ski Shop, and we, especially Pete, got in a lot of skiing. That's also when we decided that the Sundance Grill Room is our favorite restaurant. But for the special occasion of Pete's birthday, we made reservations at the Tree Room. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our dinner, but it confirmed why we like the Grill Room better. You pay an awful lot of money for very small portions with great "presentation." I prefer the more laid back, rustic elegance of the Grill Room. Another notable observation about Sundance, is that our room/cabin looked like it was designed by the same architect that designed Pete's family cabin. It was uncanny how similar the style was, down to rough pine planks on the cabinets with ceramic white handles. *Note to self, ask my mother-in-law if this was coincidence or the same architect.

Anyhow, we had a great time, very relaxing. We didn't get to spend a lot of time, since I had to give a talk in Sacrament meeting the next day, but it was great to spend time alone with Pete. We really appreciated Shari and Brian taking our little monsters over night, so that we could enjoy our little retreat!

Pete also took a "boy's weekend" in Seattle last week with my dad, brother, and brother-in-law, where they played lots of golf, ate lots of "guy food", which I'm assuming is wings and ribs, and watched lots of football. They attended a high school football game, a UW football game (apparently the tickets were the same price as the high school game, since the team's had such a bad year), and a Seattle Sea-Hawks game. I got the impression much of their free time was spent at sports bars watching more games and eating that manly food. Sounds like a great weekend for Pete . . . I'm glad he gets along so well with my family. So, Happy 36th Birthday to Peter!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Pete! That's fun you can celebrate your birthdays together in fun and romantic ways.

margo said...

Happy b day to both of you. Can you believe how old we are getting??

awindowsillview said...

Happy late b-day Pete! The other night at the Jazz game we sat right behind your bother Don and his cute wife Jodi (my brother, Steve, used to date Jami). I kept looking at Jodi and finally asked if that was her...we reminisced for a while and I mentioned that I had found Jami's blog through yours and then Don mentioned he was your sister - small world - so fun to meet your bro and to see Jodi after sooo long. Anyway, sounds like Pete's b-day was a needed retreat - how blessed you are for family that can help when you need one-on-one time. Have a great Christmas!

The Martineaus said...

Happy (belated) Birthday to both of you! Nicole, I am also an "older woman," but for nine months of the year. Nine agonizing months . . . but people tell me I look younger than Kevin, so I endure. ha ha!

Love,

Erin

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake