Sunday, November 23, 2008

Coldplay Concert

Okay, so since we lived in Michigan and were given a copy of Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head", they have become my favorite band. I love them, not in crazy fan sort of way, just a "the music speaks to my soul" way. So I was pysched this summer to find out they were coming to concert in Salt Lake City. I think I bought my tickets in August for a November concert and then gave them to Pete for his birthday (a bit of a selfish gift, since it mostly benefits me, but we won't go there!) Anyhow, the concert was last night and we attended with two of our favorite people, Jeremy and Talli. Jeremy was Pete's mission companion in Japan. After we were married, we attended the University of Utah (dang, they beat the Cougars) together and then ended up at the University of Michigan for several years. We love hanging out with them, because it doesn't matter how much time has passed since we last saw them, it's like we just start from were we left off, laugh and have a great time! Anyhow, when we first walked into the Energy Solutions Arena (stupid name), I'll admit disappointment at how high are seats were for the ridiculous sum we paid for tickets. Then we waited for a long time for the performance to start, but I'm happy to report, it was worth it. I think it was the best concert I've ever been too. Not only was it great to recognize all the music, but they put on a great show, with huge television screens and rotating spheres that projected live videos with special effects. For example, they're being recorded on stage, but the film is in black and white or with funky colors splashed on screen. I loved that, but my favorite part was when they ran through the crowd to a section of the auditorium not far from where we sat and performed two numbers--right there in the audience with us, we commoners! It was such a great concert!

Now for a brief comment on the Utah vs. BYU football game yesterday. Dang it! Utah won, by a lot! I'll admit, I use to be a Utah fan as a kid, before I randomly ended up at BYU (another story for another day). But, as a student of BYU, I have to support the Cougs and I was really hoping they'd make it a game, if only to avoid the harassment from the rabid Utah fans! That may seem a bit harsh, but unfortunately, there are some crazy Utah fans that give the lot a bad reputation.

Final thoughts! Talli and I discussed the controversy over Prop. 8 in California and it was a really interesting conversation. It's been very disconcerting to see protest rallies around the L.A. temple and the anger invoked by Prop.8 being passed. In a deviation from the Church in the past, where we were encouraged to vote, but not told how to do so, the Church really encouraged the members to get out and actively educate the people of California about the issues. Talli and I talked about how difficult it is to take a stand on these issues, knowing how important family is to the Church, but also knowing how differently our society feels about these matters. Prop. 8 passed because a majority of the people voted for it to pass, yet the Mormon's have become the scapegoats because they took a stand and actively got involved. We talked about the backlash and how it's scary to see how much hate people have for Mormon's, yet standing up for what you believe shows our faith and obedience. Anyway, it made for a really interesting conversation.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Ooh! I'm so jealous! I love Coldplay, too! And you got to see Talli and Jeremy? I'm glad you all had such a good time!

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake