Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fun Date Night

Pete and I had a fun date night tonight with our friends the Buckwalters. First we met for a 9 holes of golf at the Old Mill Golf Course, and then had an excellent dinner at Porcupine Grill. I ordered a vegetarian pizza, minus the eggplant, and it was delicious. Though I am not a great golfer, I do enjoy it and I'm happy to report I hit my first par 3. I know . . . its not saying much, but still, an accomplishment for me.

We also had a fun first Saturday of summer vacation today. Jake was involved in the second day of a lacrosse tournament, so we left bright and early this morning to watch his team defeat Bingham 3-2 in a very exciting, close game. Jake's team won their second game 7-0, although the night before they didn't have the same luck, losing the first game 5-13, and the second 5-6. I was unable to watch the second game since I had to chauffeur Madeline to her last soccer game of the season. She had a great game and steadily improved through the season. Her team had a soccer party in the afternoon, and Jake was invited to a boy/girl swim party. I'm still not sure what I think of these boy/girl parties before junior high school. Seems a bit young to me, although there's nothing wrong with having girls for friends. Mitch and Tyler, again, played great supportive roles, being shuttled to and from games and cheering on their siblings. Mitch finished a great baseball season earlier this spring, with 2 extra tournament games. He also really improved over the season, playing catcher and first base, the boy is a natural slugger! Most importantly, all three big kids had great grades to finish out the school year. That always helps me to know we're on the right track.

Tyler isn't complaining of broken bones any longer and he's memorized the chorus of Wheezer's "Troublemaker". Ya know "I'm a troublemaker, never been a faker. Doing things my own way, never giving up." This is the song, when asked to sing a song after being complimented on his cute voice, that Tyler first thought to sing. To our friend who also happens to be the Bishop's wife. That's when I wonder what improvements I could make in my parenting skills. My kids don't sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or the ABC's, they're singing Wheezer's "Do you want to destroy my sweater?" Hmmm?

The only thing I wish were different in my life right now? Yard work! I wish I didn't have to do it. I just don't feel like planting flowers and I really don't want to water the few flowers I have. And mowing the lawn . . . yeah, pretty much sick of that and its early in June!! It doesn't help that our lawn mower is broken, so we've borrowed our neighbors ride on mower. So much quicker than our little mower, but it wouldn't help my kids learn how to work. I mean, I have 3 boys, we can't hire someone to do our lawn or buy a riding mower, that's just not right! Not to mention, I mowed the lawn as a kid (still do), Madeline can definitely help as well. Maybe when we have less obligations in other areas, I'll find some motivation, deep within me to work on my yard! I hope so.

No comments:

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake