Monday, September 29, 2008

Random Thoughts

I love the fall! It's probably my favorite time of year. I love seeing the colors change on the mountains, the perfect weather with blue skies and mild temperatures. I love watching my kids play football and soccer. I love that we're just around the corner from soup and sweater weather. We have 2 apple trees in our backyard, and this time of year we make every thing apple and play applesauce baseball--a game invented by Pete's Grandpa Petersen, where you swing a tennis racket at rotten apples and basically make applesauce. It's becoming a favorite family tradition. Mitchell asked when we could play, but I think someone might get hurt if we played with the apples now, they're still hard as rocks.

Today, Tyler and I took a bike ride on the Porter Rockwell Trail. I loaded my bike and Ty's seat in the back of the car, we drove to the trail and then played at Draper City Park afterwards. I am really enjoying my time with Tyler, but I have to admit that lately I've been thinking about wanting another baby. Unfortunately, I can't have one myself, but I've been thinking about adopting a little girl. I would love any input from friends who might know how to go about this, pro's and con's, etc. I haven't decided for sure, but it continues to be in my thoughts on a regular basis, so I decided it's time to look into it.

We also spent Saturday at Lagoon again. We first went on Labor Day and got a rain check because of the weather. We really had a great time, my favorite ride being the Rattlesnake Rapids. The last time we went, we didn't really hang out in the Pioneer Village part of Lagoon, but it was very enjoyable this time around.

On Sunday, we had a special stake meeting at church to change the boundaries of our ward. This has been an ongoing process for the last year, but to know that it was finally going to happen made me a little nervous. I'm glad to report that the change had little impact on my family, but we are really sad to be loosing two of our favorite families. Unlike in Ann Arbor though, at least we still live close to the friends that we won't see every Sunday, but that we're sure to see around the school and neighborhood.

Pete and I also attended our first play at Pioneer Theatre Company, up at the U of U. We have bought season tickets the past two years and really enjoyed attending the shows. The opening show was My Fair Lady, and although I think they did a good job, Pete and I had stayed up too late the night before and both fell asleep. That's a first for me--I love the theatre, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open. It might have had something to do with the Bleu Ribbon Burger from Red Robin right before the show. Pete and I split one, and it was delicious. Full stomach, tired body, not a good combo for play watching I suppose.

One last random thought, about my friend Suzanne with cancer. She has been in my thoughts all weekend. It really saddens me to think about her situation--she just turned 50 this past spring and has her youngest son on a mission. I am still hopeful that she will make it through this, but it has reminded me of another friend whose mother died of cancer a few years back. I remember thinking then, that it was such a sad situation, but in a way, looking death in the face gives you an opportunity to say your goodbyes and to live life to the fullest for the little bit left that you have. Both of these women are like that--great examples of living life to the fullest. What a great example to me--to take advantage of what time we have because we never know when we might wake up and have our lives take a completely different course.

Anyhow, I have children to take home and other kids to pick up, so I'll leave you with those random thoughts.

3 comments:

Marinda said...

Life just never stops for you two. I've just caught up on your blog. Love the birthday-car story. Love, love, love the "Pete playing the piano" story.
I have a good friend who adopted two kids last June, the Englands, she would love to answer any questions you might have. I actually think he's going to see Pete soon for a snipping!

Marinda said...

You can go to the Englands bog: http://www.africanenglandbaby.blogspot.com/
Back in June she blogged alittle bit about the adoption. Check it out???

Wendi said...

I was at Lagoon on Saturday with my girls, too! :) It was the last day to use our bounce back pass. I love the fall, too. I love breathing the crisp cool air.

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake