Monday, August 10, 2009

I did it!!

I am so happy! I actually rode all 111 miles, the last 40 were killer with headwinds and hills, but it felt so good to complete the ride!! I could not have done it without my good friends Brook and Kim. Brook and I started the race together, and we were both determined to do it!! We knew we might be slow and that it might kill us, but we were determined to see it through. We met up with Kim at lunch and she was great to stay with us for the rest of the race. She has done several of these races and I'm sure she could have gone ahead of us, but it was fun to have her along to help us!!

I felt great until about 86.5 miles, then I started wondering what I was trying to prove to myself!! We were riding against the wind, and though they weren't big hills, when you've already ridden that far, they were tough. But how can you quit when you've come that far. By the time we hit 100 miles, I was starting to feel a little loopy and giddy! When we finished, I was so euphoric, I decided I was totally up for the fundraising dinner at LaCaille. So we hurried home so I could shower and change into my "fancy get-up" and headed to LaCaille. I felt great until after I'd eaten dinner, when my tiredness hit me like a wall. I told Pete that we needed to find a nice time to leave or I might fall asleep, face down in my dessert. Yesterday, Sunday, I felt the effects of my LONG ride more keenly, but considering that I was on my bike actually riding for 7 1/2 hours, and out for about 9, I think I'm feeling pretty good.

I am really grateful for all of my wonderful friends and family who gave me confidence and encouragement! I entered the ride as incentive to work-out, but was so nervous the week before the ride!! I really started to doubt my sanity and abilities. It was nice to have so many "you can do its" from friends. It feels so great to complete an accomplishment like that!! I had seriously considered doing another ride in September in Park City--I'm not sure yet if I'll do that, but I know that I'll try and ride another century next summer. Thank you, thank you to Brook and Kim!! What a fun adventure, and even better for having done it with friends!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What an accomplishment! 111 miles on your first race, you had every reason to feel giddy.

Amy said...

Good job Nicole! That is quite impressive.

Jodi said...

Congrats Nic! So very amazingly cool. We were thinking of you on Saturday as it rained, hoping you were okay. Glad it turned out well.

heather said...

Way to go! That is a very impressive accomplishment!

Kelli said...

Good job! I wish I could have been there but it wasn't happening this year. Next year plan on doing Little Red! I'll be there for sure.

(I found your blog from Barbs, sorry, hope you don't think I am a Blogstalker)

Becky said...

Good job Nicole! I knew you could do it! Now I just need to get my lazy behind in gear . . . (I can feel my competitive streak surfacing!)

Janie said...

Congats Nicole! So happy for you, what a great feeling to accomplish your goal. What an amazing accomplishment--proud of you!

HW said...

I am so, so impressed. What an amazing thing. What WERE you trying to prove? :)

nickyfish said...

Thanks for all of the congrats!! Heather, I'm not sure what I was trying to prove. For some unfortunate reason, I have to sign up for 111 mile bike ride to get out and work out on a regular basis. Pathetic--I know, but ya gotta do what works for you, right?

caligirl said...

I am so proud of you. 111 miles. That is HUGE!! I hope you treated yourself to something amazing!

Kim said...

It was fun Nicole. Glad we could do it together. Sorry about my singing, I just do that when it I need a boost. It would be a better habit if it sounded good:P

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake