Thursday, January 1, 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2009!


Is it possible that it's New Year's day and I still haven't written about our Christmas? Our winter break has flown by with many family parties, ski days with dad, movies and lots of relaxation.

Our movie list:

Bedtimes Stories: Great for the whole family.
Marley and Me: A little slow for young kids, but a cute show.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: I really like it, Pete thought it was good, although I'm not sure Brad Pitt should win an Oscar (Pete would say absolutely not), but a unique, well made movie.
Yes Man: Funny, definitely not for kids; the humor was on the crude side.

Our party list:
At our house, we celebrated Mitchell's baptism, a women's brunch, Pete's work party (small, just partners and PA's), Christmas Eve with my family.
Elsewhere, we celebrated Pete's Peterson cousin party, Christmas day at Debbie's, although we missed the Fisher party since Pete was on call, and another birthday party at Tiburon with the Shumway's, Brown's and Harmen's for Steve.
New Year's Eve we spent a great night at Litza's Pizza with our friend's the Harmen's, and later hung out at their home with all of our kids. The Brown's met us there too. That made 10 little children who all stayed up past midnight, playing Wii and watching movies, while the adults talked and laughed. After 3 years (almost) in Salt Lake, I feel like we're beginning to make the kind of friends we miss so much in Michigan! It was a great way to start the New Year--with friends and family.

We also had a great Christmas at our house! The kids did well in the gift department. Santa surprised me with a new, orderly purse (thanks Mitch for the request) and a new road bike. So to all my biking friends (Heather, Kim, Steph, Wendy and Amy), I'm in for the SL marathon ride and the Little Red Riding Hood ride in Logan, and any others we can do. We put the bike in front of the TV in my room and I have one of those cool stands so I can ride in place. I am determined to get in good shape, maybe even do a mini triathalon this summer!

One of the things I have loved most about this holiday season, is the amazing, beautiful snow storms. Starting Christmas night, we got pounded with snow, and for many days afterwards. I love it! It is a pain to plow the driveway and walks, and driving can be scary, but I love how it transforms the gray, deadness into a wonderland. Can't say enough good about the white stuff!

I've decided there's only one thing I don't like about Christmas--the clean up. Here it is New Year's and I still feel like I'm trying to get organized and clean up all of the Christmas decorations and kids new stuff. Tyler likes his toys in the middle of the floor between the kitchen and family room, so even after I round things up and put them away, I keep stepping on matchbox cars and a huge dinosaur puzzle. We had a real tree in our living room, one Pete and I have both lamented has been the worst tree we've picked our entire marriage. Taking the ornaments off was painful since the tree had become so dried out and brittle. I'm just glad we avoided a fire. Anyhow, I sweep and sweep, and mop, then I find more pine needs, so I repeat the process over and over again. Don't get me wrong, it's worth it, but it's my least favorite part of the holidays. Plus, I love my house decorated for Christmas and it makes me a little sad to take down all the decorations! I think this year I'll keep some of the sparkling red candles and things for Valentine's Day!

I hope the season has brought great happiness to each of you! I am looking forward to a fantastic 2009! Peace out!

P.S. My sister Chantel is due with a baby girl any day now! I hope she has her before we leave for California!
P.S.S. I still haven't downloaded my pictures from Christmas that actually have people in them . . . oops, I forget to take pictures when I have people around, but those will come soon. These are pictures before Pete's work party of the table setting, etc.

3 comments:

awindowsillview said...

I have been wanting a stand for my bike for a while now...my neighbor has one that I sometimes ride on - you will LOVE it! Congrats on the new road bike, too...you scored this Christmas! I'm starting my training Monday...aaahh, I haven't done anything for 6 months now - my body's going to go into shock! Looks like you guys had a great month - life is good!

Janie said...

I miss you guys! I wish we could have spent some holiday time with you. Looks like you guys had lots of fun with family and friends.
We saw Marley and me and loved it and cried.
I feel ya, New Years snuck up fast. I haven't taken down any Christmas stuff yet. Now here I am blogging. BTW, I know you have a Nissan Armada, I started coveting them right after I rode in yours. Dan knew that. Sorry to copy you, but they are very nice. I love it.

Marinda said...

Hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and that santa brought you everything you wanted.
Thanks again for hosting such a lovely dinner.

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake