Sunday, October 19, 2008

UEA Weekend!

It's midnight, and I suppose the restless leg syndrome is preventing me from sleeping again, or could it be that Diet Dr. Pepper I had in the tub while reading after 5pm? Regardless, I can't sleep, so I thought I'd fill you in on our UEA (Utah Educators Association, or something like that) weekend, so far.

The kids have Thursday, Friday and Monday off from school. Pete is working, so we weren't able to go anywhere elaborate, but we've had a nice break . . . and grateful for one more day off tomorrow. Thursday the kids were able to play with friends and then we watched a very disappointing BYU vs. TCU football game at Janae and Brian's house. It's always fun to go to Janae's, it brings back so many memories of junior high and high school hanging out at the Fisher's. Janae bought the house Pete grew up in, and though it definitely feels like their house, it's nice that it carries some nostalgia as well.

Friday, I met my friend Kim at the gym to do a "bootcamp" workout, and sadly, I am still so sore today that it hurts to walk. Kim has a 6 week old baby and she totally puts me to shame, but I'm glad she'll put up with me! It's good incentive to have a friend to work out with. Earlier in the week, we took a 3 mile walk, and on my own, I did a Nia class. So far, it's been a good week for working out, now I need to start eating healthier. Anyhow, another good friend let my kids come play so I could get our house cleaned up. We had a Halloween party with 12 adults and 26 kids under the age of 11. I love Halloween, although I'm not a big costume person. Pete decided to be the Karate kid, so I decided to be his girlfriend from the movie played by Elizabeth Shoe. My kids totally didn't get it--they kept asking if I was going to dress up for Halloween, even with my ratted bangs, blue eyeshadow, collar up and leggings! I think my daughter even said I looked good with my hair like that! Oh well, at least I tried. In elementary school, I was a witch every single year! How's that for a lack of originality. Anyhow, it was a fun party!

We awoke bright and early for football on Saturday. Unfortunately, Jake's team was beaten by Riverton. They played a good game though, so we're hoping they'll have better luck next week against Bingham. They've done well enough to make it to the play-offs, so it looks like we'll still be doing football into November. After the game, we drove to Pleasant Grove on an errand for Pete and then drove the Alpine Loop, starting at Provo Canyon. I absolutely love that drive in the fall--one of the things that makes me so happy to be back in Utah. The aspen groves are spectacular! We pulled off at a trailhead, so the kids could stretch their legs, and they had a ball throwing rocks in the creek and crunching fall leaves. I am always amazed at the rugged beauty of the mountains. There's nothing quite as nice as being with my family in nature--helps me to realize how the simple things are often the most important.

We got home and decided to head up to Pete's family cabin at Alta. We all slept on the floor next to a roaring fire, and spent the following day relaxing and playing. It's a fairly remote cabin--you need 4 wheel drive in summer and have to ski or walk in during the winter months--so we were glad to make it up there once more before ski season! Highlights included long games of "War" with Madeline, "Memory" games with Mitch, Madeline and Jake, football games, and pancakes for breakfast. I also finished a good book called "America America" by Ethan Canin-one I'd recommend. The kids also got to work on the tree house before the snows completely cover it. It's very fun to have a place not too far away that feels very separate from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. It was a short but rejuvenating overnighter.

Tomorrow we look forward to Cornbelly's cornmaze and the Scarecrow Festival at Thanksgiving Point before we segue back into our regular schedules. Hope those of you in Utah are also feeling rejuvenated after a 5 day weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun UEA weekend so far! I laughed about your costume and your kids not "getting it". I wish we could have made it to the party. Matt posted pics of it on FB and it looked fun. I'm sorry your having such a hard time sleeping, I hope they get it all figured out soon.

Heather said...

You are always on the go girl! I would really love to get together. Let me know when you are available.

caligirl said...

I want to see pictures of Karate Kid and Ali :-) I bet you guys looked great!

Janie said...

I am so jealous of all your fun Utah fall activities. There is not much better than going to the mountains in the fall in Utah. Your Halloween party sounds like fun! You really should have posted a picture of you and Pete in your costumes.

nickyfish said...

I've had a few requests to post pictures in our costumes--unfortunately, I was so busy making mummy dogs (hot dogs wrapped in breaksticks) that I didn't take any pictures. Maybe I'll see if someone from the party took some!!

Marinda said...

Love, love, love the family pic.
So I heard the Drs are to cheap to do a Christmas party, so we must get together. :)

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake