Friday, March 25, 2011

Winter Walk in Springtime

This morning, I dropped off my car to have the interior detailed. I found out, to my chagrin, that it would take 4 hours. Since Tyler comes home from preschool at noon, and I have to drive middle school carpool at 3pm, I decided I'd walk home, in hopes that the car would be done inbetween those times. Anyhow, this morning it started to snow, so after a delicious breakfast at "The Black Bear" cafe, I bought some gloves and a hat at the ski store and began my walk home. I was lucky to have my iPod with me, so I walked from 9400 South and Highland Drive, to my home on 8200 South. Walking home, I thought about all of the times I've visited New York, and walked miles and miles around the city. Yet, at home, I've never walked from The Firehouse Car Wash home (I've ridden my bike though). I decided that I would like to walk more. I live in suburbia, so its not as ideal for walking as New York City, but its such a healthier lifestyle and doesn't have to be just for exercise. I'd like to make it more a part of my everyday life. I've started walking with the kids to school on nice days, rather than taking the bus. I think I'd like to take my bike to the grocery store for small purchases and try to not be so dependent on my car. I figure less driving will equate to less fast food and Diet Coke runs. All good things.

Now, I had a good experience walking today, but it is March 25th and it is snowing outside. My lawn is a blanket of white. I love it and find it beautiful, but I hope its the last winter walk I take until 2012. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

We've always only had one car, which means I've NEVER had it. I walk everywhere. You know what? Perception changes. I mean I get the need for the car when you are getting groceries or taking kids any real distance, but parent night? Is a 20 minute walk THAT big a deal? I do it year round. I recommend some good boots (like Columbia or something) and some YakTrax for when it is slick but there isn't a lot of snow. It's just a habit I believe in, so good luck building it!

nickyfish said...

Thanks Tammy! So nice to hear from you and I remember you walking to work, reading. I agree about perspective--walking allows you to slow down and really appreciate your surroundings. I also think it enables you to plan ahead for effectively rather than all of the last minute, stressful car loading. I'll let you know how it goes!

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake