Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Crazy Twists

I feel compelled to blog about how grateful I am for amazing friendships. I feel really blessed by these incredible associations I have whether in my neighborhood, my high school and college friends, through church and school and family. Technology is such a great way to stay in touch with friends . . . (thanks Steph for reading my blog, I think about you often, especially since your relatives live in my neighborhood . . . do you remember taking your parents Taurus for a cruise one sleepover?) I had a chance to spend time with friends from high school today, discussing books, kids and our lives. I love these friends. Its so nice to know that there are people who know you so well that it doesn't matter how different you are or if you're not wearing your make-up, or if you've put on noticeable pounds due to a steady diet of Girl Scout cookies, they accept you for who you are. I love that and look forward to laughing and relaxing and just catching up.

I also have great associations and friendships in my neighborhood and ward. This winter I've had the chance to ski on several occasions with ladies from my ward. We've danced Thriller and played tennis. I've also seen several of these women end up sick and its been amazing to watch others gather round and help them. One neighbor has a rare liver cancer, another breast cancer and most recently a brain tumor. As a ward, we have knelt on our knees after sacrament and asked prayers in their behalf. We've also had ward fasts. They are sad situations, but its such a strength to see how faith can build us and guide us. On a much lesser note, I have been the recipient of this service. Women reaching out and showing concern. Blessings from home teachers and ward leadership. Its nice to feel that type of love and concern. I hope in some small measure, that I can stretch myself and be less selfish.

In particular, one friend, who will have surgery on her brain tumor this Thursday, has been so incredible to me when I had my surgeries the last couple of years. She brought me movies, did my dishes, swept my floor, make incredible enchiladas Cafe Rio style, called to talk and check up on me. I really cherish her friendship. Its so hard to hear that someone you love has to go through these difficulties in life. I've slowly begun to learn that the people we meet and the relationships we build are the most important experiences we have in our lifetime. I think we come to know and become like God as we learn to love and serve others. I'm sure for others that's an obvious statement, but its really become apparent to me as I grow older.

Anyhow, my thoughts and prayers are with this friend and her family right now. I pray that her surgery will be successful and that somehow, in some small way, I can help her feel as loved and appreciated as she has made me feel.

1 comment:

awindowsillview said...

You are a good friend to so many! I agree with everything you said. Maybe because I'm getting older and hopefully maturing more, but I really, finally know how important it is to serve and to serve daily...there is no feeling like it. I've had many experiences the last year that have testified to me of the importance of visiting teaching, but more so of being a true friend to those I visit teach, not just make the monthly call...do you know what I mean? We are so blessed to have the priesthood and the goodness of the gospel in our homes...don't even want to think about where I would be without it.
p.s. I laughed when you mentioned that night with the Taurus...crazy memories! I like to think I've grown up since high school (I hope) :)

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake