Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Adventure

Yesterday, being Labor Day and Pete having the day off (yeah!!), but feeling sick after his fun trip to Texas, made our possibilities for adventure a little more limited. We couldn't really do an overnighter since my boys were pretty worn out after their trip, and Mitch and Madeline had piano lessons Monday morning. But we did have a neighbor (thank you Anne) give us 14 tickets to the Bee's baseball game. After trying unsuccessfully to get another family to join us, we decided to let our kids ask friends. Jake invited 2 friends, and Mitch and Madeline each had a friend. Tyler was very sad that he didn't get to invite "someone his size" but decided that Mitch was his friend too. We had to take 2 cars to accommodate all of the seat-belt needs, more expense but definitely safer and cheaper than a ticket. Anyhow 7 kids, 11 pizzas and sodas, 4 ice cream cones, 11 snow-cones, and 7 innings of sitting in the hot sun, we carried a sleepy, sweaty Tyler home. The Bee's were being beaten, I have no idea who won, but I'm assuming it was Sacramento. I could tell Pete was done. So the kids spent the rest of the afternoon playing Statues in our shady backyard, something I have grown to love about our house--afternoon shade on a hot day, while Pete and I watched the US Open Tennis match between Wacniacky and the Russian girl (whose name I've forgotten, something like Slovenka). Then we feasted on a take home Wingers meal and sent our kids to bed. Yes, I did get in two more chapters of the Boxcar Children and succeeded in scaring Tyler. This morning, as we drove down Walker Lane, a wooded part of Salt Lake, I asked Tyler if he wouldn't want to live in this beautiful area. He replied, "mom, don't you remember last night in the Boxcar children, how you said children shouldn't be alone in the woods? If we lived here, I would be alone in the woods and I need to have a mommy." Oops! At least he's remembering what I read. Anyhow, its nice to spend time with my cute kids and my fabulous husband. We are very blessed.

1 comment:

Mel Sims said...

We officially now "owe you one!" =]

It was so great talking to you Monday morning! I can't wait to see you. I don't know why I'm not better about keeping in touch, I just love you!!

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake