Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a fantastic, relaxing weekend for Memorial Day. Lately, I have felt overwhelmed with all of the "stuff" I seem to fill my life with. It was really nice to have a weekend with no practices or ball games and only a few obligations. Pete had Monday off, which is always nice. We started the day with breakfast at IHOP--Jake's request. Pete and I shared crepes and they were delicious. Then, we loaded up our bikes (it took two cars, I think we need to invest in a bike rack) and headed to the Porter Rockwell Trail in Draper. I love this trail for family bike riding. It's mostly flat, quiet, and stress-free since there are no cars to worry about. I tried out my new road bike, and it was amazing how much less effort is required to ride a road bike compared to a mountain bike with a baby seat! Pete was kind to take Tyler this time. We got snow cones and Subway sandwiches for lunch and then headed to the driving range to hit some golf balls. Tyler may be a little young for this activity, but it was very fun. The only thing missing was Mitch, who got to spend the night at his cousins house. We picked him up at 5pm, then hit the local wings joint for dinner. Afterwards, we went and saw Night at the Museum Part II. I really liked it, although I never saw the first one. Pete and Jake thought it was just okay. What a fun day spent as a family, well mostly. Cute Mitch had two sleepover this weekend. He now thinks Memorial Day is the coolest holiday ever. Even though we missed him, I think he had a great time.

I'm not sure what it is lately, but Salt Lake is beautiful right now! The mountains are green, yet still snow-capped. The skies are blue with billowy white, clouds. There are still flowers and trees in bloom everywhere--its spectacular! We have these poppy plants in my front yard, and the greenery is kind of ugly, but they are so gorgeous in bloom. My favorite plant is my bleeding heart, although I just planted 2 lilac bushes and they may become my favorite. I am also happy to report that the tulips I planted in December (oops, I forgot to plant them in the fall) all bloomed and were beautiful. Now I need to get busy and plant the rest of my flower beds. I'm not as excited about that, plus our lawnmower broke. Its only 2 years old--aren't lawnmowers supposed to last for at least 5 years?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend. We went to IHOP and saw "Night at the Museum", too! I wish I would have thought to plant my tulips in December. I thought my window had closed when I didn't do it in the fall. It would have been nice to have more tulips this spring!

Janie said...

What a great weekend. I miss those mountains and beautiful weather so much! It is starting to feel like I will never get back there. Road bikes ARE much easier to ride, not to mention the baby seat.
You can plant tulips as late as spring right when the ground is soft enough. You were actually ahead of the game in December. :)

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake