Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hard Night!

We had a hard night last night. Tyler and I haven't been feeling well with a bad chest cold. Yesterday, Tyler went from bad to worse, he wouldn't even walk, he said his legs were too sore. His cough sounded terrible and by afternoon he was burning up with fever. We took him to After Hours where his oxygen levels were low and his fever high (103.7), so they did chest x-rays, gave him a breathing treatment and steroids and sent us up to Primary Children's Hospital, telling us he had a bacterial pneumonia. Since I haven't been feeling well, Pete thought it was best that he spend the night with Tyler. They waited until almost midnight to see a doctor who then told them that he thought that it wasn't pneumonia, but RSV, a viral infection. In other words, go home and watch. So at midnight, home they came. Granted, Tyler is definitely better than yesterday, the oxygen and steroids definitely helped his breathing, but then, instead of being home in bed earlier, he's up late at the hospital. Our health care system is so flawed. One doc says one thing, then another says another. I know they were trying to be extra careful at after hours since they saw Tyler at his worst, but how can two docs look at x-rays and say two different diagnoses. Anyway, he is still a sick little boy, but seems to be in much better spirits than yesterday.

5 comments:

heather said...

We've had lots of kids with pneumonia at our house--bacterial and viral. Both look very different on an xray. But I've found that we are always sent to PCMC if the child needs oxygen to keep their oxygen levels above 90%. But 2 of my kids have had atypical baterial pneumonia and it doesn't look like typical bacterial pneumonia on an xray. Anyway...glad he is feeling better!

Jodi said...

Ahhh, Poor Tyler. Hope he feels better soon! And you as well!

Mel Sims said...

Oh man. We've had a few of those nights up at Primary's!! They seem to go on forever. I am sorry you guys are feeling so crummy! It's not fair.

Still looking forward to a visit from you sometime! =] Whenever you're here, just let me know and I'll come meet you or whatever. Give your family hugs and we need to chat soon!

Janie said...

Nicole,
I am so glad you are both feeling better. I admit our health system has flaws, however it is the best in the world. Doctors, with all their training, are just people doing the best they can. Easy for me to say now with my healthy children. It's a lot more frustrating with sick kids.

nickyfish said...

Thanks everyone for your concern about Tyler. A week later and he's much better. Heather, I think that is why they sent him to Primary's--his oxygen wouldn't go above 85 even with a breathing treatment and oxygen. They ended up giving him a steroid and I think by the time we reached Primary's, his oxygen levels had improved to 95. I read in your blog about your kid's asthma--that's scary to have your kids struggle with breathing. I can empathize with you. Janie, You're absolutely right! Our medical system is the best in the world. This has been a particularly frustrating year for me medically though. This with Tyler and earlier with swine flu--one doc saying one thing and another completely contradicting the first diagnosis. When everyone is feeling better, its easier to be gracious! Mel, I'm still hoping to come visit this spring or summer. Did you move yet? Jodi--Hello! Hope all's well at your house.

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake