Friday, December 12, 2008

Mitchell's Big Day!

Last Saturday, Mitchell met a mile stone in his young life, that of being baptized a member of our church. It was a great day--he was so excited. There were two other girls being baptized the same day, but the stake Primary presidency did a cute spot light on each of the kids--Mitchell's focused on prayer and the story of Enos. Maybe I'll copy it and post it--it was really cute. Anyhow, he was shaking hands and smiling, a big feat for my shy, reserved son. After the baptism and confirmation, we had a little family and friends get together at our house. We started a tradition with Jake of letting the kids choose the menu for lunch. Jake chose BBQ beef sandwiches and brownies, Mitch chose pizza and Brownie Sundaes. Pete also made a "Mitchell movie" similar to one made for Jake on his big day, a photo montage set to music. It has been a fun highlight for both boys and good entertainment while I got the food ready. We missed having Janae's family and my sister Heather there, but we were happy to have Misty, Brent and Gabe in town from Vancouver, WA. Misty announced that she's having baby #4 (another boy) in April. That makes 13 grandkids on my side, since Chantel is due with a baby girl in January. We are proud of Mitch for being such a great kid and for choosing to be baptized!

Anyhow, Mitchell had a great day! After the baptism and party, he, along with Pete, Jake and Grandpa Byron attended the BYU basketball game. Meanwhile, I took Madeline and Tyler to our ward Christmas party. It was a lot of fun, although once again, I've exposed myself for the goof-ball I really am. After a nice dinner, the kids could watch a Christmas movie or make gingerbread houses. The adults divided into groups to dress in props and plan a karaoke number to a Christmas song. I had my good friend Emilie in my group, so after donning a pilgrims bonnet and a scarf, we tap danced, sang and basically made fools of ourselves that were captured on film. During the moment, I was having a good time, but I wasn't happy about the photos on the bulletin board in the church foyer the next day. Why? Why do I do these silly things? One man said, "Great, we make fools of ourselves and we can't even blame it on alcohol." So what's my excuse?

Attended another musical at PMT tonight--A Light in the Piazza. I have to say, although the acting, singing, sets, costumes, etc. were good, the story line was not a favorite. I was lost after finding out one of the leads got kicked in the head by a horse. The music got very dramatic describing the incident. Granted, it would be sad to get kicked in the head by a horse, but come on . . . it's not an incident worthy of a central plot and two songs. I would give the show a solid B.

Today, I hosted a visiting teaching brunch at our house that turned out to be really fun and watched Madeline's dance performance. Tomorrow we're off to a family party, niece's dance performance at the zoo, and Pete and Mitch to a Jazz game with their Jr. Jazz team (Pete's the coach). Although, we're supposed to get a snow storm tonight and I'm not sure I want to traipse through the snow with my kids tomorrow night to see the zoo lights and a show, I guess we'll see how it all pans out. Happy Holidays to all!

P.S. I finally gave up the notion of writing Christmas cards this year and boy does it feel good! Maybe next year! Or maybe, I'll just abandon that project all together. I love receiving everyone else's, I even display them in my house--but I'm feeling so good right now . . . simplify, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a proud moment to see our kids make good choices. Congrats, to Mitchell! I love your post about the ward Christmas party! I think it is great that you have the guts to dance and sing (even if you regret it after). Love the comment about not even being able to blame alcohol! I am curious about the VT brunch, what exactly was that? Was it for your ladies? Email me at barbbarrow@comcast.net, if you don't mind. I've eliminated neighbor gifts this year and feel a weight has been lifted. Simplify! Happy holidays!

The Martineaus said...

Congratulations to Mitchell, and happy (belated) birthday too!

I can't believe how fast they grow!

July 4th

July 4th
Maddy and Me

The Boys on the 4th of July

The Boys on the 4th of July
Spencer and Jake